Monday, October 13, 2008

Escargot and the mysteries of worldwide cuisine

Suggested Listening : Histoire de Melody Nelson by Serge Gainsbourg

First off, let me Address something here. My good friend Dallas has a blog that he is writing. He has entries EVERYDAY that are new. It is massively impressive. Anyways, in his blog, Dallas mentioned that he wishes that I posted more frequently, because as he puts it, my blog "Could only benefit" from more posts. I assume he means that as a compliment, so thank you Dallas. I will take it as a challenge, and will certainly try to up my contributions to the Blogiverse that is blogger.

Dallas, I am sure I will see you sometime again. Soon, I hope.

So, this weekend I had the pleasure of doing something that I've never done before, and after having done it, I really look forward to doing it again.

Now, I know what you pervs are thinking. I was referring to attending the International Food and Wine Festival at EPCOT. It was amazing!

I would not say that I am someone who is well versed in world cuisine. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy different ethnic foods if you will. I enjoy Japanese food (even though I'm sure it's Americanized), and of course German food, Chinese food, Mexican, but once again, usually all Americanized.

I would say that my first true venture into International food was when I went to a Thai restaurant recently with my better half Hillary and her family. I had previously dabbled in Indian food with them previously, but it was nothing that I would feel like revisiting. The Thai restaurant, on the other hand was very enjoyable, and opened my eyes to what my taste buds were possibly missing.

For the most part, I feel like I am willing to try any sort of food at least once. Heck, that's what got me to love calamari. I just wanted to eat something that had tentacles!

So, with this new passion for delving into new adventures for my palate, Hillary and I decided to venture to EPCOT for the festivities. The one thing Hillary was most adamant about that we try is Escargot. That's right folks, snails. Slimy snails. Livin' in a seashell snails. Like this one:


Now, like I stated before, I am willing to try anything once, but eating snails never crossed my mind. scratch that, it crossed my mind like how a rattlesnake might taste, or poop. I had made myself a commitment though, and even though the classic scene from "The Jerk" (First they didn't have the bamboo umbrellas for the drinks, and now snails on the plate!).

Let me tell you....Delicious! absolutely wonderful. They were served in a garlic butter sauce in a mini bread bowl, and that with the side of milk chocolate Creme Brulee, just absolute heaven. France was the absolute best country when it came to food (yeah I know, of course it was!)


I also had some mint tea and Baklava Morocco, some pistachio Baklava from Istanbul (not Constantinople), and some great Pork Pot stickers and Ginger Ice Cream from Shanghai that would Knock your socks off!

All in all, if you're a fan of international cuisine or even curious about it, and have a chance to go, I can highly recommend it.

1 comment:

The Cuban Sandwich Man said...

I AM A FAN OF INTERNATIONAL CUISINE! thats it, thats all i wanted to write.